The most common skin condition in North America is Acne. Although many suffer from the unwanted blemishes of pimples and blackheads, there is little information found on this troubling skin ailment. This acne unawareness makes it difficult for sufferers to achieve a clear and clean complexion.
There are many myths about Acne, the biggest being you must let it run its course. Skin care professionals understand this is not the best advice. Without treatment, permanent scarring and dark spots may result as acne clears. Also, when a teen or adult has a clear complexion, it boosts their self-esteem.
With effective treatments available, no patient suffering from acne should have to wait and accept its consequences. So, here is some information we at Canada MedLaser Clinics believe will be helpful to resolve your acne condition.
What is Acne?
We can all say we have had one form of acne or another over our lifetime. “Common acne” is an occasional pimple or blackhead outbreak, usually on the face, neck, back, or chest.
Acne starts when oily secretions from the oil (sebaceous) glands clog the small opening for hair follicles (pores). When these openings are large, the plugged pores may take the form of blackheads, a flat, tiny spot with a dark center or head. When they stay small, they form the flesh-colored bump known as whiteheads.
Both forms can develop into tender, swollen inflammations known as pimples. These are deeper lumps or nodules and accompany cystic acne (the more severe form of acne). Cystic acne is firm swellings below the skin’s surface which develop into tender, inflamed, and at times infected skin sores.
Although largely a curse of adolescence, approximately 20% of acne cases occur in adults. Acne typically starts with puberty and is worse with patients who have oily skin. Adolescent acne lasts from five to ten years, diminishing in the patient’s early twenties. Teenage boys tend to have the worse cases, although girls can suffer as well. As adults, women tend to be more likely to have mild to moderate cases in their 30s and beyond.
Different Types of Acne
Because we all want skin clear of blemishes like pimples and blackheads, understanding the different signs of acne is important in following a successful acne treatment regimen. Here is a handy guide you may find useful to understand the acne you are dealing with fully.
Whiteheads look like they sound – a small blemish with a whitish head. They result when hair follicles get clogged with dead skin cells and sebum. Sebum is oil which the skin needs for nourishment and protection. Only when there is excessive oil, and dead skin cells is there a high risk of clogged pores.
Blackheads are small blemishes which look like black dots. Just like whiteheads, blackheads are comedones. The difference is blackheads are open or breaks through the skin while whiteheads are below the skin surface and are considered closed. To fully understand comedones, just think of it as a clogged pore. If the hair follicle is clean, it’s a pore, if it’s clogged with skin cells and oil, it’s a comedo (comedones is plural).
Papules represent the point beyond whiteheads and blackheads, when the excess dead skin cells, sebum, and bacteria under the skin cause inflammation. You can recognize papules by their swelling and redness, like pimples without a head. They are small to medium in size and are a sense of irritation. When present, you should seek medication or treatment that calms and smoothes (not dry out) the inflammation until it subsides.
Pustules are like papules but with a full pus head. They look a tad more intimidating because of the white or yellowish pus that is on display. They may also be painful to touch. Although tempting to squeeze, scarring may be the result and extraction should only occur when a whitehead is visible. This extraction is best done by a skin care professional.
When patients suffer from a full face of large, inflamed, and red pimples which seem to last for months, it’s a good bet they are suffering from cystic or severe acne. This acne type is a deeper condition than common acne and may cause severe, permanent skin damage if left untreated. When topical creams and over-the-counter medications are ineffective, it’s time to seek a skincare professional for more medical-grade
At Canada MedLaser Clinics, we provide the most advanced and state-of-the-art acne treatments to treat and abate acne and its related effects of pimples and blackheads.
Moderate chemical peels use trichloroacetic acid (TCA) which penetrate the skin to cause the peeling of underlying skin layers and increase elastin, collagen, and other proteins which provide your skin elasticity.
We use a TCA strength between 35% and 50% which helps breakdown harden skin to treat your acne condition.
With AquaPure, we offer a four-phase treatment system which delivers a healthy, clear, and clean complexion. The four-step process includes:
- Peel+ dead skin cells removal and exfoliates waste from the skin, maintaining clear and clean skin
- Sebo+ removes whiteheads, blackheads, pimples, dead skin cells, and excess sebum while delivering optimal moisture levels to the skin
- Rejuve+ Nourishes and hydrates the skin by a pervading anti-oxidant rich formula to promote collagen and elastin generation
- Electroporation – Provides an effective and direct path for water-based complexes to enter the underlying skin layers
Skin Care Products
At Canada MedLaser Clinics we employ Vivier Skin Care Product to help with your skin care needs. Within this product line, we offer exceptional medical-grade acne products which include:
- Vivier Hexam IDS Gentle Cleanser – Cleans the skin while killing acne-causing This antimicrobial facial cleanser is a great treatment for acne-prone skin. It is designed to diminish pimple and blackhead breakouts and soothe skin redness by killing bacteria. The proven antimicrobial component, Hexamidine fights to eliminate redness and acne-causing bacteria to resolve itchiness, dryness, and irritation. It also removes excess oils and debris for a cleaner, clearer complexion, leaving your skin smooth, calm, and clear.
- Medicated Wash and Toner – This broad-spectrum antimicrobial medicated wash is a toner and cleanser which deep cleans clogged follicles to eliminate impurities like bacteria, oil, and dirt while helping prevent acne blackheads, whiteheads, and pimples.
- Retinol 1% Night Complex: Designed for bedtime application, this Vivier Skin Care product comprises of retinol, which metabolizes into retinoic acid after application. These acidic molecules attach to skin cells to increase the skin shedding process, which may lead to a reduction in the appearance of acne, pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads.
Here are some quick suggestions you may want to implement concerning personal hygiene and acne prevention:
- Don’t excessively wash – Dirt is not the cause of pimples or blackheads so over washing will not make it go away and may irritate your condition.
- No harsh scrubs – Exfoliation is okay, but make sure to use gentle cleaners with smooth, small abrasive grains.
- No alcohol – Alcohol is a powerful astringent causing your glands to produce more oil by stripping the top layer skin.
- Don’t pick or squeeze– this practice of squeezing blackheads and pimples can force the bacteria deep into the skin, causing more inflammation or infection
- Hands off – stop touching your skin. Touching causes the natural P Acne bacteria to get trapped beneath your skin where it does the worse damage causing pimples and blackheads
- Wash after Workout – because heat can deliver negative acne results to your skin, wash immediately after a workout regimen with a medical grade cleanser.
- Find an Acne Treatment Regimen – and then stick with it. We can help get you started by scheduling a consultation with a dedicated skin care professional.
Why Canada MedLaser
We are an aesthetic medical clinic which brings advance solutions to our Canadian patients who seek to improve their appearance with state-of-the-art solutions and medical grade prevention programs. Call us today
(855) 633-7721 for a FREE consultation or contact us here.
Maintaining clear and oil free skin may prove to be a challenge for some who are unlucky enough to acquire this issue.
With a Dynamic Pulse Control (DPC) system, the Medical Skin Care Therapists at Canada MedLaser pulse the laser light into different levels of the skin, (depending on the severity of the acne) where the acne and sebum reside.
This procedure dries up excess oils and executes any dirt that is situated in the pores, causing that stubborn acne to deplete.
This treatment is ideal for anyone of *any age group who has any form of breakouts, acne, or just excessively oily skin.
At Canada MedLaser, each of our patients are handed a copy of pre and post care treatment instructions to follow in order to ensure their safety and maximum benefit of the treatment.
Call us 647-4933131 to book a FREE consultation.